Port of Bandon
Public Records Policy
Adopted March 2018
1. Compliance: The Port of Bandon shall fully comply with Oregon Public Records Law, ORS 192.324 – 192.505
a. Specificity of Request: In order to facilitate the public’s access to records in the Port of Bandon’s possession, and to avoid unnecessary expenditure of staff time, persons requesting access to public records for inspection or copying, or who submit written requests for copies of public records, shall specify the records request with particularity, furnishing the dates, subject matter and such other detail as may be necessary to enable Port personnel to readily locate the records sought.
b. Access: The Port of Bandon shall permit inspection and examination of its non-except public records during regular business hours in the Port of Bandon office. Copies of non-exempt public records maintained in electronic form shall be furnished, if available, in the form requested. If not available in the form requested, such records shall be made available in the form in which they are maintained. ORS 192.440(2)
2. Fees for Public Records: Fees must be limited to no more than $25.00 unless the requestor is provided with a written notification of the estimated amount of the fee and the requestor confirms that they want the public body to proceed. In order to recover its costs for responding to public record requests, the follow fee schedule is adopted by the Port of Bandon:
a. $.50 per two sided page of all documents copied.
b. Copies of maps and non-standard documents: Charges for copying maps or other nonstandard size documents shall be charged according the actual costs incurred by the Port.
c. Research fees: If a request for records requires Port personnel to spend more than 15 minutes searching or reviewing records prior to their review or release for copying, the minimum fee shall be $23.00 per hour and additional charges shall be in half-hour increments. The Port shall estimate the total amount of time required to respond to the records request and the person making the request shall make payment for the estimated cost of the search and copying in advance. If the actual time and costs are less than estimated the excess money shall be refunded to the person requesting the records. If the actual costs and time are in excess of the estimated time, the difference shall be paid by the person requesting the records at the time the records are produced.
d. Financial Documents: Research and compilation of records by the Finance Director will be charged at $25.00 per hour and additional charges shall be in half-hour increments.
e. Additional charges: If a request is of such magnitude and nature that compliance would disrupt the Port’s normal operation, the Port may impose additional charges as are necessary to reimburse the Port of its actual cost of producing the records.
f. Reduced fee or Free Copies: Whenever it determines that furnishing copies of public records in its possession at a reduced fee or without cost would be in the public interest, the Board or Port Manager may so authorize. ORS 192.440(5)
3. Authorization Required for Removal of Original Records: At no time shall an original record of the Port be removed from the Port’s files or the place where the record is regularly maintained, except with the authority of the Board of Commissioners or the Port Manager.
4. Onsite Review of Original Records: If a request to review original records is made, the Port shall permit such a review provided that the search fees are paid in advance in accordance with the Fees for Public Records section above. A representative shall be present at any time the original records are reviewed and the charges for standing by while records are reviewed shall be the same as charges for searching or reviewing records.
5. Unauthorized Alteration, Removal, or Destruction of Records: If any person attempts to alter, remove or destroy any Port of Bandon record the Port representative shall immediately terminate such person’s review and notify the attorney of the Port.
6. Request for Public Records Procedure:
A request for public records form can be obtained at the Port office, 390 First St SW, Bandon OR, and on-line at the Port website: www.portofbandon.com. Written requests should be mailed to the Port of Bandon, 390 1st St SW, Bandon OR 97411. After the Port receives the request for records staff will notify the requestor within five business days. An invoice will be prepared and due at the time the requested records are made available to the requestor.